Sebastián Jiménez Báez
Mr. Jiménez is a partner and leads the Banking & Finance practice group. His practice focuses on corporate, commercial, financing, mergers and acquisitions, concessions, contracts, project financing, and IP matters for large international and local companies. He also advises on dispute resolution, particularly in relation to IP.
Chambers Latin America has recognized him as an Associate to Watch for his practice on corporate and commercial. Sources state he is a“very skilled lawyer with a solid understanding of the relevant laws; he provides us with a lot of support”. Peers also note that “he is a very able lawyer, so having him and his firm on the other side of deals makes things easier”. Legal 500 has also recognized him as a Notable Practitioner for corporate and finance work, clients praise his ‘strong analytical skills, market knowledge and ability to handle the most complex cases’.
Mr. Jiménez has been involved in significant real estate and project financing transactions, advising clients from banking, retail, aviation and tourism sectors. His commitment to excellence has attracted prestigious clients, such as multinational financial institutions, international pharmaceutical companies, hotel project developers and market-leading retail businesses.
- Advised a multinational cable and telecoms company in the acquisition of the two major telecoms service providers in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised on the acquisition of one of the biggest fuel and lubricants businesses in the Dominican Republic, comprising more than 160 gas stations servicing the commercial, industrial and aviation industries.
- Advised on a transaction involving the purchase of property, the financing of facilities and the lease of land and facilities to one of the leading retail chains in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised a major bank in the Dominican Republic on a transaction involving real estate located in various parts of the country, valued at more than US$16 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of electrical appliances on a criminal complaint for counterfeit of well-known electrical components that culminated in favorable judgment compensation for the client.
- Represented a beverage foreign association in a criminal action for a trademark and indication of origin infringement that led to obtaining compensation for the client.
- Advised on the demand for cancellation of health registration of drugs prompted by an infringement of a pharmaceutical patent by a multinational company.
- Advised a Puerto Rican company on a case against the Ministry of Public Health for impeding the importation of beverages and refusal by the Ministry to transfer ownership of food health registrations.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit for alleged violation of Law 173 for supposed termination of a distribution agreement without just cause.
- Advised international laboratories on claims of violations of patents brought by domestic pharmaceutical companies.
- Advised on the filing, prosecution and enforcement of preliminary injunctions against local laboratories for violation of patents and trademarks.
- Advised the Dominican Republic banks on the collection of debts.
- Dominican Bar Association
- Inter-American Lawyers Federation (FIA)
- J.D., Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE), 2003
Back to top