Sebastián Jiménez Báez
Mr. Jiménez is Partner of Castillo y Castillo and Administrative Manager of the Santiago and Bávaro-Punta Cana offices. His practice focuses on major financing, real estate and IP matters for large international and domestic commercial organizations. He also advises on dispute resolution, particularly in relation to real estate and IP.
His IP practice is distinguished by his focus on analysis, prosecution and litigation in the protection of IP rights, and the ongoing, strategic exploitation of IP portfolios.
Mr. Jiménez is recognized by Chambers Latin America as an Associate to Watch for his practice on corporate and commercial. Sources state “His availability and accessibility is excellent” and that they “would recommend him for complex work.” Legal 500 also acknowledges him as notable practitioner for corporate and finance work, clients praise his ‘strong analytical skills, market knowledge and ability to handle the most complex cases’.
His commitment to excellence and record of success has attracted a number of prestigious clients, including multinational financial institutions, international pharmaceutical companies and market-leading retail businesses.
- Advised a multinational cable and telecoms company in the acquisition of the two major telecoms service providers in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised on the acquisition of one of the biggest fuel and lubricants businesses in the Dominican Republic, comprising more than 160 gas stations servicing the commercial, industrial and aviation industries.
- Advised on a transaction involving the purchase of property, the financing of facilities and the lease of land and facilities to one of the leading retail chains in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised a major bank in the Dominican Republic on a transaction involving real estate located in various parts of the country, valued at more than US$16 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of electrical appliances on a criminal complaint for counterfeit of well-known electrical components that culminated in favorable judgment compensation for the client.
- Represented a beverage foreign association in a criminal action for a trademark and indication of origin infringement that led to obtaining compensation for the client.
- Advised on the demand for cancellation of health registration of drugs prompted by an infringement of a pharmaceutical patent by a multinational company.
- Advised a Puerto Rican company on a case against the Ministry of Public Health for impeding the importation of beverages and refusal by the Ministry to transfer ownership of food health registrations.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit for alleged violation of Law 173 for supposed termination of a distribution agreement without just cause.
- Advised international laboratories on claims of violations of patents brought by domestic pharmaceutical companies.
- Advised on the filing, prosecution and enforcement of preliminary injunctions against local laboratories for violation of patents and trademarks.
- Advised the Dominican Republic banks on the collection of debts.
- Dominican Bar Association
- Inter-American Lawyers Federation (FIA)
- J.D., Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE), 2003
Back to top