Maria Portes Goris
Ms. Portes has broad-based experience advising established companies on corporate, energy matters, intellectual property, real estate, and tourism; including permits for development and execution of projects, contract drafting and negotiation, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financing, transfer of shares, and due diligence.
She also advises on concessions for renewable energy projects and matters related to the generation, distribution, and commercialization of energy and oil.
Ms. Portes’ legal advice in relation to the first gas pipeline of the East region of the country is notable. This groundbreaking project allowed the Dominican Republic to become the country with the most diversified energy matrix in Central America and the insular Caribbean.
In addition, Ms. Portes represents international companies in tenders participation related to the purchase of energy and coal. Chambers recognizes her as a notable practitioner for real estate and tourism matters. A client describes her as a “well-organized lawyer who is knowledgeable of the area and whose work provides you with peace of mind.”
- Advised a multinational touristic projects development group in a tender for the concession for the construction, development and remodeling of a cruise and passenger terminal in a Dominican Republic port.
- Advised a multinational cable and telecoms company in the acquisition of the two major telecoms service providers in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised a multinational company on a tourism development on the east coast of the Dominican Republic.
- Advised European airlines for operating into and out of the Dominican Republic.
- Advised European investors through the installation of an aeolian energy generator.
- Represented a very well-known Latin American group in their participation in the International Public Bid for New GenerationNo.01-11 promoted by the Dominican Governmental Energy Corporation (CDEEE).
- Advised local businesses on Intellectual Property issues.
- Advised various US and European hotel chains on real estate and employment law and obtaining relevant permits.
- Dominican Bar Association
- Dominican Association of Intellectual Property (ADOPI)
- Inter-American Bar Association
- Summer Institute in Corporate Law and Business, Northwestern University. 2001
- Summer Course in International Contracts, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Universidad de Granada, Universidad de La Habana. 1998
- J.D., Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE), Graduated Summa Cum Laude. 1992
Back to top