Maria Portes Goris
Ms. Portes has a broad-based practice advising a wide range of clients on corporate and transactional matters, including incorporation and corporate maintenance, M&A, joint ventures, transfer of shares and due diligence.
She has a particular focus on advising corporates and investors on their initial entry into the Dominican Republic, guiding them through the processes and challenges of obtaining the relevant permits for a variety of projects. These have included permits relating to aviation, environment, real estate and Energy. In addition, she works with employers and private individuals on work permits and residency.
The international legal directory Legal 500 recognizes Ms. Portes as a key practitioner for corporate, finance and real estate and tourism work.
Her extensive corporate practice includes advising on Intellectual Property issues for large international entities and local businesses from across the Caribbean.
She is also a co-founder of the Dominican Association of Intellectual Property (ADOPI).
- Advised a multinational touristic projects development group in a tender for the concession for the construction, development and remodeling of a cruise and passenger terminal in a Dominican Republic port.
- Advised a multinational cable and telecoms company in the acquisition of the two major telecoms service providers in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised a multinational company on a tourism development on the east coast of the Dominican Republic.
- Advised European airlines for operating into and out of the Dominican Republic.
- Advised European investors through the installation of an aeolian energy generator.
- Represented a very well-known Latin American group in their participation in the International Public Bid for New GenerationNo.01-11 promoted by the Dominican Governmental Energy Corporation (CDEEE).
- Advised local businesses on Intellectual Property issues.
- Advised various US and European hotel chains on real estate and employment law and obtaining relevant permits.
- Dominican Bar Association
- Dominican Association of Intellectual Property (ADOPI)
- Inter-American Bar Association
- Summer Institute in Corporate Law and Business, Northwestern University. 2001
- Summer Course in International Contracts, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Universidad de Granada, Universidad de La Habana. 1998
- J.D., Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE), Graduated Summa Cum Laude. 1992
Back to top