José Manuel Batlle
Mr. Batlle is the Director of the Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Labor department. He advises local and international companies on civil, commercial, labor, foreclosure of guarantees and real estate related matters and, domestic and international arbitrations.
He has extensive experience advising on corporate litigation in the banking, tourism, energy, transport and consumer goods sectors. In addition, Batlle also advises on IP issues, such as copyright, trademark violations and other infringements.
Revista Mercado -a leading Dominican business magazine- named him in 2019 as an “Outstanding 40 under 40 Lawyer” in the awards ceremony of “Premios Mercado Abogado”.
Chambers and Partners recognizes Batlle as an Associate to Watch, earning praise from clients who state that he “has a lot of experience in litigation and negotiation. He is very able and knows what he is doing.“
He is a professor at Universidad Pedro Henríquez Ureña’s (UNPHU) School of Law.
- Advised a multinational cable and telecoms company in the acquisition of the two major telecoms service providers in Dominican Republic.
- Represented several Spanish hotels groups on a US$ multi million Tax claim against the Dominican Republic Tax authorities
- Represented an international hotel group in a US$ multi million claim for unfair dismissal filed by two of their senior Dominican Republic managers.
- Represented a casino owner on an arbitration with the casino lessee.
- Represented an airline company on several claims filed by passengers seeking compensation for lost luggage or flight delays.
- Represented the biggest bank in the Dominican Republic on several seizures of goods and US$ multi million debt collections.
- Represented a hotel company in several land disputes in Bávaro and Punta Cana.
- Represented several well-known multinational companies in criminal actions for violation of their trade mark rights.
- “The Legal and Economic Impact of the Implementation of the International Code for the Security of Ships and Port Facilities (ISPS) in the Dominican Republic.” Essay awarded third place at the 2007 Iberomerican Maritime Law Congress
- Dominican Bar Association
- Master in Constitutional Law and Fundamental Rights, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) and Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Spain. Currently pursuing
- Master in Civil Procedural Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM). 2009
- LL.B., Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM). 2006
Back to top