Tania M. Castillo
Ms. Castillo is Managing Partner of Castillo y Castillo and Head of the firm’s Intellectual Property Department. She advises businesses based in the Dominican Republic and large multinational organizations on the full spectrum of IP-related matters including patents, trademarks, copyright, brand and IP portfolio management and exploitation, registration on the national sanitation and health registers and franchise and licensing agreements.
Chambers ranked her in Band 3 for IP, in recognition of her broad experience in handling complex IP matters. Sources state “When we have a complex issue, it is good to know that someone of her seniority is involved.” Legal 500 highlights Ms. Castillo as a recommended lawyer in IP, receiving praise from clients for her “clear advice”.
She is well known for her robust approach to patent, trademark and contract infringements, contentious issues relating to sanitation and health registration and frequently represents clients on major international disputes.
Ms. Castillo has always played a very active role in developing the Firm’s services to clients. She formalized the Department in 1989 in response to increasing client demand for first-rate IP support in the Dominican Republic.
As part of the firm’s commitment to supporting clients on all aspects of managing their IP portfolios, in 1996 Ms. Castillo established the affiliate firm Asesores del Caribe to provide reliable prompt advice on patent and trade mark applications across the Caribbean.
In 2005, she established the Bávaro office of Castillo y Castillo and took on the role of managing Profesionales, a collection agency affiliated with Castillo y Castillo.
Since then, Ms. Castillo has created the Immigration and Contracts Departments. She has also established the Tax Department.
Internally, she has also played a vital role in restructuring the firm’s support services to ensure they run smoothly and interact seamlessly.
- Represented a multinational cable and telecoms company in the acquisition of two major telecoms service providers in Dominican Republic.
- Represented a textile company in a criminal complaint for trademark infringement of a well-known Spanish textile company that culminated in obtaining compensation for the client.
- Represented a manufacturer of electrical appliances on a criminal complaint for counterfeit of well-known electrical components that culminated in favorable judgment compensation for the client.
- Represented a beverage foreign association in a criminal action for a trademark and indication of origin infringement that led to obtaining compensation for the client.
- Advised a multinational company on a lawsuit for cancellation of the health registration of drugs prompted by an infringement of a pharmaceutical patent owned by our client.
- Represented a food manufacturer in obtaining and enforcing sanctions against another business for violation of distribution rights.
- Advised a food company in managing and enforcing liens relating to distribution rights and associated violations.
- Advised a Puerto Rican company on a case against the Ministry of Public Health for preventing the importation of beverages by an authorized party and overcoming the refusal by the Ministry to transfer ownership of food health registrations to the legal owner.
- Represented an international beauty pageant organization in an infringement claim for unauthorized use of the unauthorized use of its name.
- Represented an American entertainment company in actions against importers of counterfeit toys and school supplies merchandise.
- Represented an international company against a claim for alleged unlawful termination of a distribution agreement under Law 173. The claim was rejected.
- Advised international laboratories on claims of violations of patents brought by domestic pharmaceutical companies.
- Dominican Bar Association
- Dominican Association of Intellectual Property (ADOPI), Former Vicepresident
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- European Community Trademark Association (ECTA)
- LL.M., Columbia University, USA. 1994
- J.D., Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE).1992
Back to top